LNER 70759 Gresley BGP (body only) converted to Third Brake built 1943

LNER 70759 Gresley BGP (body only) converted to Third Brake built 1943This page is a part of the Herritage Railways Carriage Survey project and is hosted on the internet by The Vintage Carriages Trust (VCT), a volunteer body, based on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in the United Kingdom. About the Trust: The Vintage Carriages Trust was formed in the late 1960s by a group of volunteers whose interest was in wooden bodied railway carriages. They could see that there was a need to concentrate on the preservation of these historic items which were in grave danger of disappearing due to the weather and vandalism damage and unsuitability for regular use on preserved railways of the day. The Trust became a Registered Charity in 1981 and a Registered Museum in 1992. The Collection held by the Trust is at present nine historic railway carriages, also three small industrial steam locomotives, and a collection of railway posters and other miscellaneous railway items. The Trust owns the Museum of Rail Travel at Ingrow - the first station from Keighley on the Worth Valley Railway. By three phases of building work over the last ten years this has developed into a large museum display and associated workshop, and is the Trustís headquarters. Although the building is named a

LNER 70759 Gresley BGP (body only) converted to Third Brake built 1943
LNER 70759 Gresley BGP (body only) converted to Third Brake built 1943

 

Present Location Severn Valley
County Location Worcestershire
Designed For LNER
Build Location York
Diagram number 245
Lot number 1073
Type BGP now BTK
First Number 70759
Later Numbers (24506)
Present Number (24506)
Current Livery LNER - Teak
Gauge 4ft 8 1/2in
Wheel Arrangement Body only
Original Underframe No
Original Bogies/Wheelsets Yes
Additional Notes P 1973 David & Charles, at Newton Abbot till presented to South Devon Railway by Readers' Digest and to Buckfastleigh 04/91. To LNER(SVR) Coach Fund by 04/05. By 08/06 in use as Bewdley Station Fund Shop, repainted maroon (see additional photo below). By 01/11 being rebuilt as a Brake Third. Gifted by the Coach Fund to SVR Rolling Stock Trust 01/11. Heavily corroded underframe replaced 07/11 by that from 70442 (qv), which is to be dismantled for spare sections. New and refurbished teak panelling fitted 2013. New roof completed 01/14 to remedy damaging corrosion in original fixtures. Emerged from Kidderminster Paintshop 09/02/16: in full LNER prewar livery and carrying the number 24506, "borrowed" from a BTK that was destroyed prior to 1943; mechanical work, overhauled bogie and gangway fitting still required before release into passenger service. 20/08/16: restoration project now complete, and it entered public service (see main photo, leaving Bewdley on first run that day).
Owner SVR Trust
External Structural Condition Good
Internal Structural Condition Good
Underframe Condition Good
External Finish Good
Internal Finish Good
Degree of External Originality Much replaced/reproduced material
Degree of Internal Originality Conversion/rebuild/reproduction
Degree of Underframe/Running Gear Originality As built/last Passenger rebuild (BR or before)
Degree of External Authenticity Good
Degree of Internal Authenticity Fair
Degree of Underframe Authenticity Good
Rarity Several
Historical Importance some Interest, Modest Consequence
Storage Open
Operating No
Survey Date 03/02/2014
Surveyor Richard Hill
Photo Date 20/08/2016
Photo by Richard Gunning
At Risk No
Date Record Last Updated 29/08/2016

Byron Chamberlain 05/2007. Earlier condition and livery
Byron Chamberlain 05/2007. Earlier condition and livery


 

 

















 

Start Another Search - Vintage Carriages Trust Web Site

Use or publication of this data must acknowledge the Carriage Survey as the source. Information from Railway

 Heritage Register web sites must not be used in a commercial context without the written permission of the

Railway Heritage Register.