GCR 1663 Clerestory Composite Brake Lavatory (body only) built 1903

GCR 1663 Clerestory Composite Brake Lavatory (body only) built 1903This page is a part of the Herritage Railways Carriage Survey project and is hosted on the internet by The Vintage Carriages Trust (VCT), a volunteer body, based on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in the United Kingdom. About the Trust: The Vintage Carriages Trust was formed in the late 1960s by a group of volunteers whose interest was in wooden bodied railway carriages. They could see that there was a need to concentrate on the preservation of these historic items which were in grave danger of disappearing due to the weather and vandalism damage and unsuitability for regular use on preserved railways of the day. The Trust became a Registered Charity in 1981 and a Registered Museum in 1992. The Collection held by the Trust is at present nine historic railway carriages, also three small industrial steam locomotives, and a collection of railway posters and other miscellaneous railway items. The Trust owns the Museum of Rail Travel at Ingrow - the first station from Keighley on the Worth Valley Railway. By three phases of building work over the last ten years this has developed into a large museum display and associated workshop, and is the Trustís headquarters. Although the building is named a

GCR 1663 Clerestory Composite Brake Lavatory (body only) built 1903
GCR 1663 Clerestory Composite Brake Lavatory (body only) built 1903

 

Present Location Great Central (Northern)
Designed For GCR
Build Location Gorton
Built by Ashbury
Diagram number 4H3
Lot number FC44
Type BCL
First Number 1663
Later Numbers 51663
Present Number 1663
Gauge 4ft 8 1/2in
Wheel Arrangement Body only
Original Underframe No
Original Bogies/Wheelsets No
Additional Notes FC44/5148. W 1948, body in use as Canteen at Hull Kingston Rovers Craven Park ground. (Two other bodies also at that location). P 1989 Great Central Carriage Group, near Banbury. 7/97 private owner, then GCR(N) - based GCR Rolling Stock Trust. On wagon u/f, now in new Carriage building. (The two other bodies were: Great Central Third 224 (?), dismantled for parts by Great Central Railway Carriage Group: and Midland & North British Joint (M&NB Joint) BTK No. 118, dismantled for parts by the Midland Railway Trust. Both these latter were in use as Tote betting offices). By 10/11 outside, sheeted: and by 08/11 was carried by underframe of BG 31274 (q.v.).
Owner GCR Rolling Stock Trust
External Structural Condition Good
Internal Structural Condition Derelict/Not Present
Underframe Condition Not Applicable
External Finish Poor but Substantially Complete
Internal Finish Not Applicable
Degree of External Originality Some replaced/reproduced material
Degree of Internal Originality Not Applicable
Degree of Underframe/Running Gear Originality Not Applicable
Degree of External Authenticity Good
Degree of Internal Authenticity Not Applicable
Degree of Underframe Authenticity Not Applicable
Rarity Unique
Historical Importance Very Important
Storage Secure Building
Operating No
Survey Date 30/08/2005
Surveyor Kevin Stroud
Photo Date 03/08/2006
Photo by Byron Chamberlain
At Risk No
Date Record Last Updated 11/01/2014


 

 














 

Start Another Search - Vintage Carriages Trust Web Site

Use or publication of this data must acknowledge the Carriage Survey as the source. Information from Railway

 Heritage Register web sites must not be used in a commercial context without the written permission of the

Railway Heritage Register.