LNER 10021 Third Corridor built 1924

LNER 10021 Third Corridor built 1924This page is a part of the Herritage Railways Carriage Survey project and is hosted on the internet by The Vintage Carriages Trust (VCT), a volunteer body, based on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in the United Kingdom. About the Trust: The Vintage Carriages Trust was formed in the late 1960s by a group of volunteers whose interest was in wooden bodied railway carriages. They could see that there was a need to concentrate on the preservation of these historic items which were in grave danger of disappearing due to the weather and vandalism damage and unsuitability for regular use on preserved railways of the day. The Trust became a Registered Charity in 1981 and a Registered Museum in 1992. The Collection held by the Trust is at present nine historic railway carriages, also three small industrial steam locomotives, and a collection of railway posters and other miscellaneous railway items. The Trust owns the Museum of Rail Travel at Ingrow - the first station from Keighley on the Worth Valley Railway. By three phases of building work over the last ten years this has developed into a large museum display and associated workshop, and is the Trustís headquarters. Although the building is named a

LNER 10021 Third Corridor built 1924
LNER 10021 Third Corridor built 1924

 

Present Location Boness
County Location Falkirk
Designed For LNER
Build Location York
Diagram number 23
Type TK
First Number 10021
Later Numbers 1002, 4464, 12041, DE320874
Present Number None
Gauge 4ft 8 1/2in
Wheel Arrangement 4-w bogies
Original Underframe Yes
Original Bogies/Wheelsets Yes
Additional Notes 10021J, 1002 in 1925, 4464 in '30s, 12041 in 1946 scheme. P 1971 by SRPS, at Falkirk till 1988. 'Restoration planned, fair'. [Lloyd suggests 10021, 1002 from 1925]. Restoration started by 08/12: interior progressing, with all compartments now in place, corridor doors fitted, electrics started and exterior panelling removed to allow new teak to be fitted. One compartment totally rebuilt, as an exemplar for the other seven. 08/16: majority of interior completed but restoration halted following the discovery of corrosion in the underframe gussets and perishing of the body mounting pads. The repair of these issues will entail a body lift and this is currently in progress. 08/17: Work has been suspended on this vehicle until safety concerns are resolved with the body lift, which is in progress. Note: the restoration work has revealed the inscription 'J Set 4' (see second additional photo below), confirming it to have been part of 'The Flying Scotsman' set of 1924.
Owner Scottish Railway Preservation Society
External Structural Condition Satisfactory
Internal Structural Condition Fair
Underframe Condition Satisfactory
External Finish Fair
Internal Finish Poor and Incomplete
Degree of External Originality Some replaced/reproduced material
Degree of Internal Originality Much replaced/reproduced material
Degree of Underframe/Running Gear Originality As built/last Passenger rebuild (BR or before)
Degree of External Authenticity Good
Degree of Internal Authenticity Poor
Degree of Underframe Authenticity Good
Rarity Few
Historical Importance of some Importance
Storage Secure Building
Operating No
Survey Date 21/09/2002
Surveyor Trevor England
Photo Date 21/08/2016
Photo by Steve West
At Risk No
Date Record Last Updated 25/08/2017

as seen 06/06
as seen 06/06

Alastair McPhee 11/08/2016. Set number - see notes above.
Alastair McPhee 11/08/2016. Set number - see notes above.


 

 










 





 

 

Start Another Search - Vintage Carriages Trust Web Site

Use or publication of this data must acknowledge the Carriage Survey as the source. Information from Railway

 Heritage Register web sites must not be used in a commercial context without the written permission of the

Railway Heritage Register.